Monday 15 October 2012

To my unborn daughter



Kenneth Juror | Kenya

My dear child let me take some few minutes to tell you what you will encounter in your new world. You will be taught in your Social Studies classes, it was called Geography History and Civics during my time, that there was Kenya’s first president, Jomo Kenyatta, who died on 22nd August, 1978. He was succeeded by Daniel Toroitich arap Moi who during his tenure people got displaced due to ethnic clashes. You might also be told that Kenya’s GDP was equal to that of South Korea and Malaysia way back in 1963!

My worry is that you may not live to tell this tale as I am not sure of your conception. I am not sure because one of my testicles was crushed during an inter ethnic violence because I was perceived to be the enemy of the other community. You ask the enemy? Yes I was viewed as the enemy because I do not come from the “correct community” your mother was thus chased away by my people as they thought that since she comes from the mountains, a land far away from here then she should as well be treated the same way I was. I tried talking to your uncles and kin that I had legally married your mum but they would hear none of it. As she ran away you were only three months away from getting to this harsh unforgiving world. A world that you are judged by which tribe you are from and what is between your legs than what is between your ears. Unfortunately she miscarried you as she ran. 

If you could have perhaps lived, then I am not so sure whether you could have celebrated your fifth birthday; malaria, measles, or any other malady could be waiting for you round the corner to snap life out of your beautiful self. 
Just before you take your last gasp let me narrate what happened many years back. It was in the year 2007 where a politician called Raila Odinga and Mwai Kibaki had a protracted dispute over elections. The previous felt the latter stole elections, what followed thereafter was sporadic violence that led to the deaths of over 1,300 people and a further 300,000 got displaced. It was not a good sight to behold as our country was literally burning. About your mother she did not manage to reach her home as news came in that she was hacked to death by a gang called Mungiki. My child I may not quite explain what Mungiki was or what it is but that is how your mother left this world.

As you close your eyes in death you may never know what your mother went through apart from what I have told you neither would you know what your friends encountered. Your grandparents wept uncontrollably upon being told that you took your last breath without them holding you and even taking care of you the same way they did to me. 

There is however hope as your mum’s people want to come to the village to make peace. I am happy that all will be well as I will soon marry and have a daughter just as beautiful as you were and I will make sure that my people will not chase away this other lady whom I will marry but rather stay in peace until we come and join you. 

Bye my beautiful daughter lots of love,
Dad.   

2 comments: